10 Budget-Friendly Wedding Backdrop Ideas you can DIY
A wedding ceremony is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and it's important to make sure that every detail is perfect. No matter what, this celebration of love is always a special occasion that you want to cherish forever.
It's no secret that wedding backdrops are one of the most important elements in setting the scene for your big day. They can be simple or elaborate, but they should always reflect your personal style.
Whether you are looking for a wedding cake table backdrop or a photo booth backdrop, you should come up with a backdrop that sets the scene and reflects the theme of the wedding reception.
Wedding backdrops don’t always have to be complicated or expensive. By using items that you already have, or can easily find, you can save a lot of money and still create a stunning backdrop that will leave a lasting impression on your guests. So let's check out some DIY wedding backdrop ideas that are budget-friendly.
1. Cascading Flowers Wedding Backdrop
Image Source || elegantweddinginvites
This is a beautiful and romantic DIY wedding backdrop that you can easily create. A wedding backdrop of flowers is always a good wedding backdrop idea, which is why it is one of the best choices. The best part is they don’t go bad, so there’s no need to worry about how long they can be used.
All you need is some fresh flowers, a few yards of tulle, and some string or ribbon.
- To make this cascading flowers wedding backdrop, start by tying the tulle to the back of your chosen chair.
- Then, take your flowers and create small bouquets.
- Once you have all of your bouquets made, start attaching them to the tulle with the string or ribbon.
- Continue until you've covered the entire length of tulle.
This makes for a beautiful and unique wedding backdrop!
What's great about this cascading flowers wedding backdrop is that it's budget-friendly and easy to DIY. Plus, it's a great way to add a touch of romance to your wedding ceremony!
2. Paper Crane Wedding Backdrops
This is a beautiful and unique wedding backdrop idea that is perfect for a DIY bride. For many, it is a sign of love, hope, and peace, which is perfect for a wedding. In some cases, it can also symbolize healing which is why it is among the most common wedding backdrop ideas.
If you are into origami or looking for a DIY wedding backdrop, a paper crane wedding backdrop is perfect for you. All you need to create this wedding backdrop is some paper, scissors, and tape. Keep in mind that this can take some time to finish, as you would need to fold hundreds of these paper figures to make enough to create an elegant-looking backdrop.
- First, cut out your paper cranes. You can find templates online or make your own.
- Once you have all of your paper cranes cut out, start attaching them with strings.
- Continue until you've made a beautiful curtain.
This makes for a beautiful and unique wedding backdrop for your wedding photos!
Paper crane wedding backdrops are also budget-friendly and easy to DIY. Plus, it's a great way to add a touch of uniqueness to your wedding venue!
3. Rustic Wedding Backdrop
Image source|| Archdays.com
A rustic wedding backdrop is one of the most popular wedding backdrop ideas and is perfect for a DIY wedding project, especially if you already own pieces of furniture and décor in line with this theme. You can even get some components from surplus shops, making it a cheap option.
A rustic wedding backdrop is perfect for couples who want a simple and elegant wedding ceremony. It's also a great choice for those who are on a budget and they can be used for both an outdoor wedding and an indoor wedding reception.
If you're planning a rustic wedding, then you'll want a backdrop that is both stylish and rustic. Luckily, creating a DIY Rustic Wedding Backdrop is easier than you might think!
Here are some tips on how to create Rustic Wedding Backdrops:
- Start with a blank canvas. You can use anything from an old door to pallets to create your backdrop. If you're using an old door, make sure to sand it down and paint it white before getting started.
- Next, add some greenery. This can be anything from eucalyptus leaves to baby's breath. Get creative and have fun with it!
- Once you've got your greenery in place, it's time to add some flowers. Again, get creative with this step and choose any flowers that you love.
- Finally, add some lights. This will help create a romantic ambiance for your wedding ceremony.
There are many other rustic wedding backdrop ideas.
- Another easy way is to use burlap or Hessian fabric. Simply drape the fabric over the back of your chairs or hang it from the ceiling. You can even use it as a table runner!
- Another way to create rustic wedding backdrops is by using wooden signs. This is perfect if you want to add some personalization to your wedding ceremony. Simply write your names and the date of your wedding on the sign and hang it up!
- You can also use mason jars, vases, and lanterns to create a beautiful rustic wedding backdrop. Simply fill the jars with flowers or candles and place them around the room.
- If you're looking for something a little more unique, you can try using old windows or doors. Simply hang them up on the wall or use them as part of your ceremony backdrop. You can repurpose a barn door by giving it a few coats of paint and decorating it with flowers.
- Wooden pallets can also give the place a more pastoral look.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to creating a rustic wedding backdrop. With a little creativity, you can easily create a stunning DIY wedding backdrop that will make your wedding ceremony unforgettable.
Personalized Rustic Wedding Backdrop || Etsy
For the not-so-DIY bride, this fabric rustic backdrop will be a great alternative. Lightweight and easy to hang, no installation required. It can be hung on the wall with pins/tapes or with a backdrop stand. The best thing is it can be personalized with your names and date.
4. Embellished Pergola Wedding Backdrop
Image source || wemegood.com
If you're looking for unique wedding backdrop ideas that won't cost a fortune, look no further than an embellished pergola!
A pergola is an outdoor feature that offers gridded roofing held up by beams, rafters, and columns. These offer a nice shaded area for gardens, patios, and other outdoor spaces. If you have one in your backyard, then you can use them for your wedding, especially as backyard pergolas are often movable. They are ideal for an outdoor wedding.
This type of wedding backdrop is eye-catching and can be customized to match your wedding theme. With a little creativity and some elbow grease, you can transform your outdoor space into a beautiful and unique setting for your big day. Here's how to create an embellished pergola wedding backdrop:
- First, consider your ceremony location or reception. If you have a large yard, you may want to create a focal point by adding an embellished pergola or gazebo.
- Choose a pergola that matches the overall style of your wedding.
- For a more intimate gathering, add some personal touches by hanging flowers, greenery, or other decorations.
- You can also drape fabric from the top of the pergola to create a more romantic look.
- Finally, don't forget to add string lights or lanterns for a magical touch!
By following these simple steps, you'll have an unforgettable DIY wedding backdrop that will wow your guests.
5. Flowery Archway Wedding Backdrops
Image source || Etsy
An arch is often seen as a symbol of a new life. Entering through these structures signifies a fresh start for the couple, which is why it is an essential element of weddings and one of the best wedding backdrop ideas.
You can line the arch or arches with white roses if you are going for a more traditional theme. You can also use other colored flowers or other types of décor such as balloons, thereby creating colorful floral arrangements.
Whichever route you decide to take, your guests will definitely be wowed by this entrance!
This guide will show you how to create a flowery archway wedding backdrop that is sure to impress.
- Flowers (real or fake)
- Balloon garland kit OR balloons & string
- Tape or glue (optional)
If you’re using real flowers:
- Start by attaching the flowers to the arch using tape or glue.
- Continue adding more flowers until the entire arch is covered.
- If you want, you can also add some greenery for a more natural look.
If you’re using fake flowers:
- Start by attaching the flowers to the arch using wire or hot glue.
- Continue adding more flowers until the entire arch is covered.
- Inflate the balloons and tie them off with knots.
- Cut pieces of string that are about 12 inches long.
- Tie one end of each string around a balloon, and then tie the other end to the arch.
- Repeat this process until the entire arch is covered in balloons.
Your flowery archway DIY wedding backdrop is now complete! Just add some finishing touches, like lights or ribbons, and you’re all set. Whether you use real or fake flowers, this backdrop is sure to make a statement. Guests will love taking photos in front of this beautiful decoration!
6. Wall of Greens Wedding Backdrops
Image source: Tyler Speier Events
If you’re looking for unique wedding backdrops, then look no further than a wall of greens! This type of decoration is the perfect wedding backdrop for couples who want something a little different or who would love to go for a more serene and natural design. Typically, this is a wall covered with trailing plants, creating a cascade of lush greenery and perfect for a garden wedding.
You can choose other types of plants such as potted plants with thriving leaves lined along a wall to create a greenery wedding backdrop or you can use a bunch of roses to create a floral wall backdrop.
A wall of greens can be created with any type of greenery, from ferns to ivy. You can also add in some flowers or other types of décor to create a one-of-a-kind look.
This guide will show you how to create a stunning wall of greens DIY wedding backdrop that will wow your guests.
You'll need a 20x20 foot section set up with a pipe and drape system. For the greenery, you'll need at least 24 full bunches of eucalyptus, Silver Dollar Eucalyptus, aspidistra leaves, and Ruscus.
- Start by attaching the eucalyptus to the top crossbar using floral wire.
- Weave in the Aspidistra leaves every few stems for texture and then fill in with Silver Dollar Eucalyptus and Ruscus.
- Make sure to stagger the heights of each row of greenery for added dimension!
Pipe and drape systems can be found online or at party rental stores
Bunches of greens can be ordered from your local florist or grocery store
Make sure to ask for help when attaching the greenery to the pipe and drape- it's always good to have an extra set of hands!
Once you're finished, step back and enjoy your stunning creation. Your guests are sure to be impressed.
Fabric Grass Backdrop || iJayBackdrops
For the not-so-DIY bride, this fabric hedge wall backdrop will be a great alternative. It can provide that 3 Dimensional elegant grass wall look. It is lightweight and easy to hang, no installation required. It can be hung on the wall with pins/tapes or with a backdrop stand. It can also be personalized with your names and date.
7. Balloon Wall Wedding Backdrops
Image source || Pinterest
Balloons are very flexible styling options because they come in different colors, sizes, and shapes. You can choose any type that goes with your wedding theme. If you are into the more traditional style, then white and gold balloons are your best bet.
However, if you would like a fun design, then you can choose any color combination that you like. The key is to find the right mix and arrange them to create the perfect backdrop.
Balloon walls are becoming increasingly popular as wedding backdrops, and it's easy to see why. They add visual interest and dimension to any space and can be customized to match your wedding colors or theme. Plus, they make for great photo props!
Here's how to create your own balloon wall wedding backdrop:
- Start by inflating a bunch of balloons in your wedding colors. You'll need more balloons than you think- aim for about 100 per square foot of coverage.
- Once the balloons are inflated, start attaching them to a frame or wall using a clear fishing line or string. Begin at the bottom and work your way up, overlapping the balloons as you go.
- Once the entire area is covered, stand back and admire your handiwork!
Your guests will be amazed by your creative backdrop, and you'll have some beautiful photos to remember your special day.
8. Modern Graphic Wedding Backdrops
Image Source || Green Wedding Shoes
Those who prefer more fun and contemporary feel will find modern graphic wedding backdrops a good choice. This aesthetic is known for using visual communication that is eye-catching and meaningful.
Modern graphic wedding backdrops are becoming increasingly popular, as they offer a stylish and sophisticated look that will wow your guests.
For your wedding venue, you can use bolder colors, various patterns, and even pictures. If you know how to make graphic art, then you can save some money by making your creative design for the wedding ceremony.
This has a lot of potentials, as you are essentially creating and using art for your wedding background. The trick is to get into a creative mindset with your partner and come up with a design that goes well with your theme.
- To create a modern graphic backdrop, start by choosing a large piece of fabric in your desired color or pattern.
- Then, use a projector to project onto the fabric.
- Next, trace the projection with chalk or a pen to create your design.
- Finally, fill in the tracing with paint or markers to complete your masterpiece!
9. Macramé Wedding Backdrop
Image Source|| green wedding shoes
A macramé wedding backdrop is a beautiful and unique way to add some extra flair to your special day. It's the perfect backdrop for an outdoor wedding and if you want to add a beautiful Bohemian touch.
Macramé is a type of textile made from knotting cords or ropes together. It's a simple yet stunning way to decorate any space, and it can be easily customized to match your wedding theme.
To create your own macramé wedding backdrop, start by gathering some supplies. You'll need rope or cord in your desired color, scissors, a tape measure, and a dowel rod or wooden pole.
Once you have all of your materials, cut the rope into equal lengths- we recommend about four feet long each.
Then, begin tying the pieces of rope together at the center point using a basic knotting technique.
Once you've tied all of the pieces together, hang your macramé backdrop on a wall or in a doorway using the dowel rod or wooden pole.
And that's it- you've created a perfect wedding backdrop for your special day.
10. Rent a Gazebo
Image Source || Austyn Elizabeth Photography
If you are looking for a more traditional way to decorate your wedding backdrop, then renting a gazebo is the way to go.
Gazebos can be found in most parks and gardens, and they provide a beautiful and serene setting for your ceremony. Most importantly, they are very affordable and easy to set up.
Simply choose the size and style of gazebo that you like, and then decorate it with flowers, ribbons, or other decorations.
Whether you want a simple and elegant backdrop or something more elaborate, there are plenty of ways to make your wedding backdrop unique. With a little creativity and planning, you can create a backdrop that will wow your guests and make your special day even more memorable!
Which of these DIY backdrops do you think is the easiest? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!